The case of water filters - Areyouthefilter
«Are You the filter?» – asks the company of the same name on the home page of its site. Our client is engaged in the sale, installation, and maintenance of UV water filters and complete water treatment systems for the home 🚰. The company offers its customers, who do not yet have such equipment, to switch to safe healthy water and stop being filters themselves. The customer is based in Auckland, New Zealand, and operates within a 50 km radius of their office. Accordingly, a constant influx of customers from this particular geolocation is important to him. We had to work on attracting them.
- Client site areyouthefilter.co.nz;
- Google Ads Advertising Account.
Step by step the work was carried out as follows:
Starting points of work for us are communication with the client and the completed brief. Having learned the key information about the company and the priority areas of work, we decided on an advertising strategy and drew up the structure of advertising campaigns. At the initial stage of the setup, GEO was installed within 50 km of the client’s office 📍 to exclude orders that he would not be able to fulfill. To reach as many leads as possible from a given geotargeting target, we used search advertising, Google Display Network (GDN), and remarketing.
Our main goal was to provide the customer with sales growth. And to achieve it, a set of tasks was established:
- Set up search ads for priority areas: UV filters and Water Pumps.
- Launch Smart GDN, a smart display campaign that uses the intelligence of Google Ads to search new customers.
- Set up remarketing to return people to the site who did not take the targeted action.
It is important for us not only the number of new customers that our customers will receive but also the cost of attracting them. A successful advertising campaign in Google Ads is not only clicks and sales, but also working to reduce the cost of conversions.
Therefore, to reduce the cost of conversion, we use:
- Smart Target CPA. Its meaning is that with enough data on the conversions performed, Google Ads adjusts the bids for queries and shows ads to users who are more likely to take the targeted action.
- Dynamic search ads. When creating such ads, we use a large number of titles, descriptions and additional extensions (prices, quick links). This allows the system to select more conversion combinations as well as increase the search snippet. Such actions increase CTR, which means they reduce the cost of a click and subsequently – reduce the cost of conversion.
Created 2 search campaigns: UV FILTERS and WATER PUMPS. Each of the campaigns was divided into groups by keywords and received the following structure:
💧 UV FILTERS:
- UV filters,
- UV filter service,
- Water filters (used common requests for water filters and suggested to go to See page for UV filters that people might not have known about before).
💧 WATER PUMPS:
- Jet pumps,
- Multistage pumps,
- Water pumps (general water pump requests),
- Water pump service.
Initially, bids were set at the group level, and after collecting statistics, they were manually set at the keyword level to be shown on average at the 2nd position. After the first dozens of conversions, we switched to the smart Target CPA strategy.
Targeted actions were set as conversions:
- Thank you pages after filling out the form on services, UV filters and pumps;
- Clicking or copying an e-mail;
- Calls from a search ad;
- Calls through the site (call tracking).
We also set goals for local actions through Google Maps 🌏, we took them into account when optimizing, but did not count them as conversions, because it is difficult to track whether conversion actions followed.
For dynamic search ads used:
- 8 quick links to website pages that solve various client tasks: information about research, sending a message, information about the company, requesting a free visit, ordering a free diagnostics, receiving a commercial offer, urgent departure of the service department.
- Clarifications in which the customer’s USP was used (2000+ installations, 18+ years of experience, high quality, 24/7 emergency call, wide range of products, etc.).
Remarketing and GDN
Set up 3 campaigns:
- Search remarketing – proved ineffective in combination with our GEO.
- Standard remarketing – disabled due to the fact that almost all traffic was pulled by the Smart GDN campaign.
- Smart GDN – did an excellent job of targeting audiences and yielded low-cost conversions.
While remarketing was bringing conversions between NZD $ 70 and NZD $ 150, the conversion cost in Smart GDN was NZD $ 20, so this ad campaign was abandoned.
Work on the project continues today. For 1.5 years of our cooperation, the total budget of advertising campaigns amounted to 14,000 NZD $. Average conversion price of 53.79 NZD $, which completely suits the client, as it quickly pays off by selling, installing and servicing the equipment.
Advertising in Google Ads allows constant improvement and makes it more profitable.
In this case, the dynamic search ads on which the search campaigns are built act as a powerful A / B test that makes it clear which combinations of titles, descriptions, and links are more effective. And the intelligent capabilities of Google Ads allow you to maintain the cost of conversion at an acceptable level.
As a result, we get the desired indicators, and the customer – target customers, and a quick return on advertising.