Sports Case - Precisionstriking
Canadian boxing coach Jason Van Veldhuysen 🥊 became our client in 2019. On his YouTube channel, Jason posts videos once a week that teach technique, train endurance, and motivate him to go in for sports. At the time of the beginning of our cooperation, the channel was already 12 years old and had 400 thousand subscribers. The client also has an online store with tutorials. Jason independently develops his business, and wishing to make it more efficient, he decided to delegate the advertising setup to us.
- Client site – precisionstriking.com;
- Customer YouTube channel – youtube.com/PrecisionBoxing/;
- Client applications for IOS and Android;
- Client’s account in the Google Ads advertising system.
Step by step the work was carried out as follows:
For the first time, the client thought about the need for contextual advertising in 2012, then he took the first steps on Google Ads setup. However, the lack of time and the desire to get really working advertising pushed us to connect specialists, that is, us. After the first communication and the completed brief, we had an understanding of the audience and the goals of the client. Additionally, we studied the market for sports services: audience requests and sites with similar services.
We proposed to focus on video advertising 📹, supplementing it with remarketing, and also launch Display Network Ads.
Since we decided to use several advertising channels, we were faced with the task of not only setting them up correctly. It was important for us to evaluate the effectiveness of each ☝ so that in the future the customer could use the advertising budget more profitably.
Our main tasks:
- Configure YouTube Ads to attract an audience to the channel;
- Launch Mobile App Ads to download mobile applications;
- Customize the Display Network for search words, interests, remarketing and look-a-like audience;
- Track metrics in Google Analytics and adjust campaign settings.
Since the client already has a YouTube channel with excellent video content, it was decided to do several advertising campaigns with his videos. Additionally, we used advertising for mobile applications and display networks, setting conversions for installing the application and downloading the test course.
Since the client and his audience are English-speaking, all communication, setup, and work were carried out in English.
Step 1. YouTube
Video ads were implemented with two types of campaigns:
- Remarketing . The impressions were aimed at people who saw any video on the channel, but did not interact with it in any way. In essence, we reminded the interested audience of us. A website link and information about a free trial training program have been added to the promotional video.
- Targeting Campaigns . Campaigns were tuned on YouTube In-Stream and YouTube Discovery to target keywords, topics, interests and intent of users with an interest in combat sports and, in particular, boxing.
Video ads have generated conversions from CAD 2.07 to CAD 63.5.
Remarketing showed the most profitable results 💪. It was he who decided to leave for further promotion.
Since its inception, remarketing has brought 1500 conversions at 2.07 CAD.
Step 2. Android and IOS
Set up 4 campaigns for mobile app ads 📱: 2 for free app on IOS and Android and 2 for a paid app. At the time of our cooperation with the client, we launched one advertising campaign for a free application on Android.
Installation of a mobile application was selected as a conversion.
Mobile ads generated 273 conversions of 0.20 CAD.
The paid Android application had not yet been tested at that time, and the IOS version required the assistance of the application developer.
Step 3. GDN advertising campaigns
Additionally, we launched display campaigns with banners to advertise the channel, apps, and website:
- WebSci_App_Remarketing – a remarketing campaign for those who were on the application page, but did not download any of them.
- WebSci_GDN_Remarketing – for those who were on the site or watched a video on the YouTube channel, however, did not make any targeted action, for example, did not subscribe to the “Free Training Program”.
- WebSci_GDN – GDN campaign for keywords, interests, topics and intentions for those who fit our target audience.
- WebSci_GDN_Similar audiences – GDN campaign for a look-alike audience similar to those who made a conversion with us, namely, downloaded a test brochure or a course at precisionstriking.com. Look-alike audiences are automatically created by Google Ads when enough data appears in your account.
Preliminary analysis of the business, setting clear objectives and consistent tuning of advertising campaigns brought us 2186 conversions with an average cost of 2.12 CAD. Working with Google Analytics and optimizing campaigns allowed us to identify the most profitable advertising channels and abandon less effective ones, which helped to increase the client’s business indicators показатели.
Effective advertising not only brings profit but also helps to draw the right conclusions. Competent setting up contextual advertising and working with analytics allowed us and for the customer to investigate the sports business more deeply: where the audience comes from and for what purpose, what they are looking for, and what they are buying. The customer received not only customized campaigns with which to work further but also important indicators: advertising costs, cost per lead, cost of conversion. Knowing how much it costs to attract a customer and which acquisition channels are the most profitable, you can more effectively manage your advertising budget.
Correctly focusing investments on advertising and focusing on business is the main goal of the client, which was achieved with our help.