Flower shop case - Parizhanka
In 2017, our client was the Parizhanka floristry workshop 💐. The premium quality of bouquets, aesthetic approach to the arrangement of compositions, and fast delivery are the strengths of the company. But the floristic business has its own characteristics: it is full of worthy offers, and buyers make decisions rather quickly. To be visible to the target audience and to be in demand from it, you need an integrated approach to promotion and careful adjustment of advertising.
From the first advertising campaigns to complex internet marketing – we tell how we started to lead the project and what it has become today.
- Client site – flowerfor.me;
- Google Ads advertising account;
- Yandex.Direct advertising account;
- SEO optimization;
- Targeted advertising on social networks (Facebook Ads, VK Target, My Target ).
Step by step the work was carried out as follows:
The customer contacted us with the task to configure Google Ads. After filling out the brief, we got an idea of the target audience, supply, and demand in the floristry market. To reach more clients, after about 6 months of work, we added advertising in Yandex .Direct. With the growing competition in the floristic market, it was necessary to rethink the advertising approach and it was decided to launch a comprehensive promotion, including SEO promotion and social targeting.
Initially, we had a task – to get as many conversions (leads) as possible at a price of up to 350 rubles from the Google Ads advertising system.
- Set up turnkey Google Ads campaigns.
- Set up full conversion tracking using Google Analytics + Google Tag Manager.
- Configure call conversion tracking using link tracking system and Google Analytics.
In the process of scaling the work, the range of tasks has expanded.
Additional tasks have appeared:
- Reconfigure and permanently optimize the Yandex.Direct advertising account, achieve a conversion price of less than 350 rubles.
- Conduct a full SEO audit of the site in order to start a full SEO-promotion, raise the site above the top 10 and secure stable high positions 🔝.
- Set up and constantly optimize targeting in social networks. Facebook Ads, VK Ads, MyTarget were selected as the most popular social networks in the Russian Federation.
What decisions did you make
One of the main decisions involved setting conversions on the client’s site.
We decided to use any customer request (lead) as a conversion and got 5 ways:
- a chat on the site (started by a client or an accepted invitation to a chat from an operator);
- a call to a spoofed number (dynamic call tracking);
- purchase through the site’s cart ( visiting the thank you page after placing an order);
- ordering on the site in one click (the client leaves only a phone number and clicks «order»);
- a call through a search ad (snippet) without a transition to the site.
We decided to use the following for tracking:
- Callibri to track orders via chat;
- Callibri Call-tracking to record calls;
- Thank you page after ordering through the cart or quick order button;
- Google Ads: Customized search snippet conversion for ad calls
We made a number of decisions to make advertising more profitable:
- We refused remarketing in Google Ads and retargeting in Yandex.Direct, since flowers are an instant product. Practice and measurable results have shown us that there is no point in «catching up» with a failed client when he has already bought and presented a bouquet. It is on the idea of «flowers are an instant commodity» that all Performance marketing in the floristry market is based.
- 70% of all conversions on the site are on mobile devices 📱. Therefore, it became necessary to optimize advertising for mobile gadgets in order to make conversions more profitable.
- To attract customers to promotional offers, we decided to connect targeting in social networks in conjunction with the classic maintenance of accounts in social networks (SMA).
Google Ads – Search Ads
Advertising campaigns in Google Ads have been categorized by keyword type. Separate campaigns have been created for each category of flowers («tulips», «roses», «sweet bouquets», etc.), as well as a general campaign with groups for various services: «delivery», «ordering bouquets», «buy flowers» and so on. Ads that match the keywords, landing page, and the group of advertised products as closely as possible are launched into the display. All ads lead to their respective landing pages.
Thus, if a person wants to order 101 roses, buy a bouquet in an online store, order the delivery of roses or other flowers, he only needs to complete 3 steps: enter a request, go to the website that he liked, and place an order. The most effective were ads with promotional offers, for example – 33 roses for 999 rubles.
In the first few weeks, thanks to optimization and a proprietary bidding strategy, ad campaigns brought in the required number of conversions and trained enough to incorporate the smart Target Cost Per Conversion strategy, with which we began to receive conversions worth an average of 280 rubs.
Also, the first leads gave us a better understanding of the audience for subsequent optimization.
Analytics showed that about 60% of customers make an order by phone 📞 using a number on the site or from a search snippet. In most cases, the purchase is instant and is made either spontaneously or at the last moment.
Google Ads – Display Network
Configured advertising in the GDN for look-alike audiences (a customer-like audience created by Google’s machine learning), which brought in an additional 1-2 conversions per day, but the cost of these conversions was quite high. There are several reasons for this:
- In the CIS market, it is necessary to work very carefully with CCM because of the large number of low-quality sites.
- As mentioned earlier, flowers are an instant product, therefore targeting at a sufficiently high cost per click does not allow Display campaigns can be profitable.
- GEO is too narrow to work with strategies based on Google machine learning. Since the client works only in Kazan, it was irrational to target the entire Russian Federation.
It was decided to turn off advertising campaigns in GDN after 3-5 weeks of the test.
Google Ads – Product Ads
Setting up Google Shopping Product Ads demanded the development of a product feed. A programmer was involved in its creation. We compiled a detailed TK with all possible parameters and received an updated feed from the programmer, which was uploaded through the Google Merchant Center. Linked Google Merchant Center with Google Ads and set up a Google Shopping ad campaign.
Further, the work was carried out step by step:
- Launched the ad with one total CPC.
- After 2 weeks, we received enough clicks and data that we used for further adjustments.
- After another month of work Commodity RK divided all products into 10 groups depending on the price per conversion. We set the maximum CPC on the most converting products, a few rubles less on the next category, and so on.
We are still working on optimizing Shopping ads today. We exclude non-targeted traffic, sometimes we change groups for products when they become more purchased, adjust bids and audiences. Thanks to the right approach to product advertising, Google Shopping managed to achieve a price per conversion of 299 rubles (data for September 2019).
Yandex.Direct – search advertising
At first, the price of Yandex Direct conversion exceeded the limit set by the customer.
We used in turn: broad keyword matching, exact query matching (led to the expansion of the core to 4000 keywords), left only the most conversion keys.
As a result, we got the following results:
- YAN – conversions from 800 to 1100 rubles.
- Search advertising – conversions from 500 to 800 rubles.
The most likely reason for such high rates is too much competition in the floristry market in Yandex.Direct.
In 2020, we tested Yandex automatic strategies, trained an advertising campaign, and we succeeded! We began to receive conversions of 350-400 rubles 💪. The client was completely satisfied with this cost since by this time the flower business had changed a little: prices for buying flowers from suppliers increased, new competitors appeared and the average cost had to be raised bouquet.
Saving the conversion price 350 rubles. or less would lead to fewer conversions. The way to increase the number of conversions, and, accordingly, their cost, looked more optimal. However, all this is within 400 rubles per conversion.
Therefore, since 2020, the new maximum conversion price for Google Ads and Yandex.Direct is 400 rubles.
Yandex.Direct – Yandex advertising network
We tried to launch advertising in YAN with a customer several times. We were constantly changing creatives, working with keywords, and filtering negative keywords. However, all this helped us to achieve only a result of 700-800 rubles per conversion. For the customer, such a conversion price is unacceptable, the work starts in the red.
In 2020 we tried to configure YAN through automatic strategies Yandex. The 4-week test showed a conversion price of 650 rubles, which was still expensive for GEO in Kazan and the floristic business. However, this result was quite expected. With a high enough cost per click in display ads, the results can in no way be equal to search ads.
It was decided to stop working at YAN.
Yandex.Direct – MKB or Banner on Search
This format has worked well. Since it is not popular enough among advertisers, we expected an adequate CPC and were not mistaken.
Media-contextual banners brought us conversions on average 400 rubles. In addition, you can place a picture of the bouquet and the price of the product on the banner, which gives us an advantage over conventional search advertising.
However, after several months of work, the cost per click has increased. Many competitors have appeared in this ad format, and the conversion price has grown to an average of 700 rubles. It was decided to stop working with this ad format. In addition, at the time of writing the case, automatic Yandex.Direct strategies for this ad format were not yet available.
To set up Yandex.Market product advertising, I also had to use a programmer. Based on the technical specification for Google Shopping, we made a product feed for Yandex.Market. Made the necessary edits. After we launched the ad, we were able to achieve 5-7 conversions per week at any rate. However, the conversion price was about 250 rubles, which completely suited us.
In addition, in the process of working with Yandex.Market, we received warnings and bans, for both real and far-fetched reasons, stopped this ad format and made edits either to the site or to the product feed.
As a result, at the end of 2019 from placement in Yandex .Market had to be abandoned, as the amount of effort spent to stay on the marketplace exceeded the benefits of it.
When we started working with a client, he was already in 10 positions in the Google search results, and in the 30s and 40s in Yandex, but he could not rise higher. Working with the previous contractor brought certain results to Parizhanka, but at some point, the growth stopped.
SEO work was carried out as follows:
- We analyzed the site 🔎 and identified problems that did not allow the site to grow dynamically.
- Collected a new semantic core, which showed additional directions for development.
- We relied on speed site and user friendliness. To do this, we carried out technical optimization work (redesigned the structure, converted part of the «heavy» graphics into webp format, applied adaptive images for different screens, optimized the server’s operation, which was especially difficult to implement due to the closed nature of the Bitrix system in terms of resource use).
- We updated the content on the site (added new descriptions of categories and products, started blogging).
- And a lot of additional work that can be talked about for hours …
Work on website SEO promotion has been underway for over a year. However, at the current stage, we have already managed to achieve stable 1-2 positions in Google and 5-10 positions in Yandex .
Social Media Targeting
Social networks play a special role in the floristic field. After all, it is here that a person chooses with his eyes 😍. We cooperate with an SMI specialist who maintains accounts of «Parizhanka» on Facebook, Instagram, VKontakte, Odnoklassniki.
Targeted advertising is configured by us on all sites except for Odnoklassniki (this network was abandoned after 3 weeks of tests and due to low popularity, weak target settings, and lack of full-fledged analytics).
We use video and graphic banners.
The most effective format from the practice of working on Facebook, Instagram, VK is a carousel of 3 banners.
Advertising is carried out on promotional pages and is shown to an interested audience, which was selected as follows:
- We set up ads for ready-made audiences in Facebook Ads and VK Ads.
- We collected an audience that made conversions using Facebook Ads and VK Ads pixels, and created a look-alike audience based on it.
- Added all contacts of existing clients from the client’s CRM to Facebook Ads. Based on this data, Facebook also created a full-fledged look-alike targeting audience.
Also, in order to get a more complete look-alike audience, using the Callibri service, we configured the transmission of call conversion actions to Facebook Ads.
The result of this constant long-term work was conversions of up to 300 rubles in VK Ads and Facebook Ads. These advertising sources, due to their flexibility and low cost per conversion, we have left as one of the main ones.
Today, work on comprehensive promotion continues. Average cost per conversion is supported:
- Google Ads and Yandex.Direct RUB 300-350
- Facebook Ads and VK Ads 250- RUB 300
Complex Internet marketing brings us 35-55 conversions every day. The number of hits depends on the holidays, season, events, and other local factors.
Working on SEO helped us to more than quadruple search traffic from Yandex and Google. From the 10th position in Google, we have moved up and remain in the top 1 and top 2 🥇 . We are in the top 5-10 Yandex by target keywords. We have been holding such positions over the past year and a half. The overall site visibility is over 70%, and the share of free search traffic to the site is 25%.
Targeted advertising has proven to be an effective and inexpensive tool for additional conversions. And even if there are not as many of them as from direct search traffic, they cost about the same if you take into account the work of an SMM specialist.
Working on the Parisienne project is a great example of scalability and complex advertising 🌱 🌷. Having received the first positive results, the client and I did not stop there but began to develop new directions of promotion. Simultaneous work on contextual advertising, SEO, and SMA allows you to be visible to buyers, be the first to offer them the best bouquets, and respond in time to market changes.
Parizhanka LLC thanks the Web-Sci advertising agency for the fruitful cooperation! We entrusted online advertising to the agency a few months ago and during this time we were convinced of the correctness of our choice.
Today Web-Sci advertises our products on Google AdWords. High-quality technical support, the ability to take part in closed testing of new advertising products, high professional qualifications of employees are important characteristics of the Web-Sci agency for us.
We express our gratitude to Tula account manager Ruslan Sergeevich for professionalism, high qualifications, responsibility, and personal qualities. The agency uses the latest innovations in Performance Marketing to achieve the best possible performance.