Twitter Advertising - Opportunity Overview
Twitter is a social network with over 330 million users. The microblogging format has become so convenient and popular that many people start their day with it, find out the latest news and share important (and not so) events. Twitter has brought together a whole army of influencers and an even larger army of their followers. Advertising of almost any goods and services is popular here, and of course, there is a place for paid promotion.
Paid Twitter advertising is excellently suitable for promoting a product and personal brand, lead generation, driving traffic to the site.
We are ready to acquaint you with the possibilities of Twitter for business, tell you about the intricacies of advertising settings and the secrets of its effectiveness.
Welcome to the ad account
Twitter offers two methods of paid promotion: You can select any ready-made post and promote only it. To find this option, just click on the “Analytics” icon below a specific tweet.
Use an advertising account and create a full-fledged campaign. You can get to the advertising account either by using the direct link ads.twitter.com or by going from the user’s open account by clicking on “Ads info” or in the side menu to find “Twitter Ads”.
Next, let’s take a closer look at the second option since it is it that is more efficient, but also more complex.
The structure of a Twitter advertising account is built on the same principle as Facebook Ads. There is a campaign, ad group, and ad level here.
The first step in creating a campaign is pretty predictable. As with Facebook Ads or Google Ads, you need to define your goal. Twitter offers three groups of goals: awareness, attention, and conversions.
After setting a goal, you need to make basic settings for the campaign: come up with a name, attach a map, set a daily or total budget, and set the campaign launch date or its validity period.
Twitter Ad Groups
When creating an ad group, you need to specify your bidding strategy and remember to come up with a name for the ad group. Fields with start and end dates of impressions and budget are optionally filled.
Bid assignments can be entrusted to the system by choosing an automatic strategy, or you can set them yourself manually. Although the automatic strategy is marked as recommended in the settings, you should learn more about the ad display procedure before making a choice.
Twitter uses an auction to choose which ad to show. With an automatic bid, the system will try to set the best price. In this case, the calculation will be made based on the established budget and the goal of the campaign.
Recommended daily budget starts at $ 30.
But the real costs will depend on the following components:
- audience size;
- its willingness to respond to ads;
- the number of advertisers with whom your audience intersects;
- bid size, etc. .
The cost of interactions may be different every day. Therefore, the most effective way to control costs is to set the rate manually and constantly monitor it. In the process of showing ads and interacting with them to the audience, the system will collect data that will help to achieve more stable results.
After setting up the campaign and ad group, let’s move on to selecting tweets. You can create carousel ads.
Here are some tips with which advertising will be more effective:
- Calls to action are still effective. Suggest the user to “call”, “go to the site”, “download the application” or perform any other targeted action. With the right call, the conversion will be higher.
- Make sure that the advertised tweet does not have hashtags or mentions. They can “divert” part of your audience to other publications.
- Remember the limits: 280 characters for a post, 2 minutes 20 seconds for a video.
Targeting and Audiences
To get to the target audience as accurately as possible, you can select the following parameters:
- Gender and age;
- Language and location;
- Device and operating system;
- Mobile operator;
- Movies and TV Shows;
- Discussion Topics;
Special attention should be paid to keywords. Add words that your audience is looking for in search, uses in their tweets, sees in posts of interest. The optimal number of keywords is about 25. The main thing is that they are relevant to the interests of users and your advertising publications.
As for the audience, there are two ways to customize it:
- Create custom.
- Upload custom
Available download options:
- Lists of Twitter names or email addresses.
- Recent site visitors.
- Mobile app users.
After you have configured your targeting and audiences, you can go to the Campaign review tab to verify that all settings are correct. You can also add new ad groups here.
Campaign status and audience ad interactions are available on the Campaign tab. Here you can find information about expenses, followers, cost of the result. You can also set the required date range for the indicators. If you have multiple campaigns, ad groups, or ad publications, you can make it easier to find them by filtering by name, status, or goal. Results by the audience can be viewed separately by parameters such as location, gender, language, platform, age, as well as by specified audiences in the targeting settings.
It is quite easy to find analytics in the advertising office. It sits right next to the Twitter Ads logo and has a small dropdown menu.
Analytics at a glance:
- Account Home – this is where the basic information about the account is located: the number of followers, the most popular tweets, mentions, as well as tips for improving your account.
- Tweet activity – information about tweets is already concentrated here. Just select the tweet you are interested in and get a summary of data, including likes, retweets, replies.
- Video activity – everything related to video posts that were posted using Twitter Ads is located on this tab.
Tools for optimizing advertising campaigns
When it is necessary to make the work easier, but more effective, useful helpers come to the rescue. One of them is Ads Editor. With its help, you can optimize work with a large number of campaigns. If there is a need to make changes to one or several campaigns, it is enough to use the Ads Editor and an Excel spreadsheet. Edited data in Excel can be uploaded to the Ads Editor and then applied to an advertising account. The second useful tool is Conversion tracking. You can find it on the main Analytics page.
Here you can track conversions and, accordingly, measure user interaction with ads. Website Tag is used to tracking conversions. This tag is required in order to track users who came to the site from Twitter. The tag captures clicks on a link, transitions to the site after viewing the publication or after retweeting.
The tag is placed on every page of the site where conversion is expected. The data is grouped by the type of conversion (feedback, call, purchase, etc.), and is available for saving in the .csv extension.
The tag can be a universal (A universal website tag), which is suitable for placement on any page of the site, and a unique (Single-event website tag), which is used to track a specific conversion. The system recommends a universal tag.
Basic steps for setting up a generic tag:
- Go to “Conversion tracking”, as shown above.
- Select “Create new website tag”.
- Next, the system will generate a tag and provide instructions on how to installation on the site.
- Upload the file with the code.
- Place the code fragment on the pages of interest before the <body/> HTML tag.
What you need to know before starting a Twitter campaign?
Any advertising campaign is a risk. Rapid exhaustion of the budget, inaccurate targeting of the audience, unstable results. The following tips will help, if not completely avoid, then at least minimize these risks:
- Better to prioritize manual bids and increase them gradually, constantly monitoring the result.
- It is more profitable to allocate the budget at the ad group level. This way, you can organize a more even distribution of impressions among different groups.
- Periodic monitoring of data by audience will help to exclude non-targeted impressions.
- If the cost of conversions within a group seems to be high, it makes sense to break it down into narrower ones. groups. This can help you get more accurate data and save your budget.
- Disable creatives that don’t work.
The main advantage of Twitter advertising is reaching a wide audience. It is almost impossible to go unnoticed here. At the same time, the system has weaknesses in terms of display optimization, which means it requires increased attention to campaign settings and constant monitoring of its results. But even taking these features into account, Internet Marketing Agency Web-Sci recommends opening for yourself, Twitter advertising opportunities and look at them as a new source of customers.